Friday 28 September 2012

Jack of all trades, master of some....

So as we were looking for the new house, I've been hanging out at my friend Paul's house 1 night a week. Not only for socializing with a good friend and mentor, but to use his carpentry shop. This guy taught me a good chunk of what I know in terms of skilled trades. To be honest, a lot of what I learned was what 'not to do'. He's a great carpenter and if he didn't love the beer so much, he'd probably be retired by now or at least have a crew of minions doing his grunt work. Life Lesson #65: Everyone you meet in life will teach you something, and sometimes it's what not to do, you just have to pay attention.
 
First time I picked up a hammer to build something was in front of him 15 years ago. I lived in his basement for a few years, helped him build it in fact, and moved from there in with D when things got serious. In preparation for farm living I've built a few items which will come in handy I hope. My process to making something is simple. I do tons of research reading, youtubing etc. Get multiple examples of an item I want to make, take all the best features of each of them based on my needs, and then execute the project with intensity, sometimes even tunnel vision but we'll see examples of that later I'm sure. 

What's a garden without black gold! 

Interior Worm farm sans worms
The first project was a worm farm.
(aka vermicomposting)

A design made from:
1) 2 large Rubbermaid containers
2) Vent caps of a couple sizes 1" and 2" from Home Hardware
3) 1/8 in plastic mesh screen
4) Pantyhose.
(I can elaborate on design if anyone requests it)

They'll pay dearly to live here
So far the thing works great. We bring it inside during the winter (we've had it for over a year now) and have never once had an issue with smell or mess. Trust me, if D smelt anything it would have been dumped a long time ago. A key move I find is to freeze the food you are feeding the worms first. When you are planning to feed them, nuke it in a microwave for a few minutes, let it cool and dump it in with the worms. Pretty simple and effective for cutting down waste and adding some useful black gold to the plants we have on our patio. Anyone, even with a small condo space could do it this way and not have an issue.  
 
*Note: This completed farm bin (above) goes inside an untouched duplicate (or shorter) bin to catch any water or liquid gold which might seep out.



No comments:

Post a Comment