Sunday 9 December 2012

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery...

To our legion of fans who have waited on bated breath for the next installment, we want to say thank you for your patience and our apologies for the delay. The fact that our legion is most likely 2 people doesn't remove the sincerity of the statement.

It has been a while since our last post, and I promise you short of a foreign invasion we will never be away that long again. The reality is you can count on it happening within the next 6 months, but we will try not to. I could go on in this post for awhile to catch up but I will most likely cut it into 2 or 3 mini ones. Mostly just because we all have short attention spans and I like to keep everyone on point.

So in our last post we were heading away to Jamaica. The trip overall as great. Weather was perfect, the food was great, the booze was top notch and everything was smooth and painless. As mentioned before we have been a to Jamaica a couple times so we knew what to expect. The fact language is not a factor and that most of the laws are pretty loose is always a plus for us. I just don't feel as comfortable when there are military personal on every corner or I'm the in situations where I'm not sure if I ordered a beer or traded my wife for a mango. It could happen...

We ended up going to a place that was a little on the plus star side and I couldn't have been happier with how things ended up. Fact of the matter is I let D take care of it all. I show up and get in line like 3rd grader on a local museum trip. If you gave me a fruit drink in a box I'd probably nap while doing a thumb suck.

What made the place really great was how laid back most of the rules were. Usually we go to places where you have to line up in the morning for special dinner reservations and the beach towels are treated like royal jewels. This place was open season in every way and it was just what we needed. No reservations for dinners, the room bars were stocked with everything you could need and if you wanted 10 beach towels to build a fort, all the power to you.

Our room was the best on the whole resort. We came to this conclusion after doing a recon and taking everything into consideration.
  • Distance from main lobby and loud entertainment stage
  • Distance from food and prime beach location
  • Height off the ground in terms of bugs avoidance vs total stairs 
  • Fact it had a hammock (only 1 of 12 on entire resort) 
  • It over looked the nude beach section of the resort adding to the entertainment
In the end, we had a great time. Retrospectively I wish we had done more things. It seemed by the time we had rested up and were ready for some free water-skiing, the wind picked up a little and the trip was over. I blame myself, as always. D is very accommodating to my boisterous and sometimes laid back personality. I fear she accepts more of my crap than she should but I'm working on that
not happening.

What tips do I have when traveling you ask? Well let's see...
  1. Make sure you know the currency situation. We met a young couple who had exchanged a boat load of money into local and also unneeded currency. US dollars worked very well. 
  2. Bring your own thermos mug for the hotel bars. Small plastic cups are a pain. 
  3. Bring your own toilet paper. Enough said... 
  4. Chat up the front desk people, they can get you interesting deals on trips you may not know about. 
  5. Save yourself the hassle, no one cares about what your wearing. Bring one pair of sandels and a pair of runners, that's it. 
Actually surfing the net here...
When we got back home all was well. Cooper had chewed a couple chair legs but overall the place hadn't burned down and all the animals remembered us. We looked forward to coming home for sure. The road ahead is so exciting on the new farm. How could we not be just as happy to be home as we were on a beach surfing the net in a hammock...



Life Lesson #559: Don't expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one might run out...



No comments:

Post a Comment